I get it: Covid-19, its effect on our peace of mind and day to day life is awful and seems to be getting worse by the hour.
I’ll get straight to it: while I mostly coach individuals on building their personal resilience, I also help business owners make sure their businesses are resilient.
For business owners who are understandably concerned about the economic implications of Covid-19, I suggest asking yourself three powerful questions:
1) What have I been through before that was similar? (e.g. foot and mouth, Brexit, financial crash, SARS, H1N1, add your own here). You’ve managed before, you can do it again.
2) What is this teaching me?
A powerful question that I mentioned in a recent post. It can stop a panic spiral in its tracks and enable real insight into what’s really going on from a macro-perspective.
3) Is there an opportunity for me here?
Is there an opportunity to say ‘business as usual here’?
Is there an opportunity as a local business or supplier to now tap into a market that normally sources from outside your area?
If you or staff are self-isolating but clinically feeling well, what could you do online or with staff working from home that you normally don’t have time to do, or that could help you prepare for return to normality?
If negative emotions or panic start to over-ride your conscious thoughts, go out to nature. Watch how….
- The sun sets, but it rises again – every single morning.
- The sky is as it always is, ever changing but ever present.
- The birds are busy making nests, and singing while they work.
- Spring is here, things are growing, rabbits are hurtling around on the roads (running in front of the car when they just need to turn left!)
- Your roof, food and fuel are precious gifts and gratitude for them right now is very comforting.
Until next week, take care,
P.S. If you are self-isolating and feeling well, you might like to avail of an online coaching session (you may have been meaning to start coaching but were previously too busy, and now have time!). I have video conferencing software so it’s easy to set up. Just contact me to schedule a short and no-obligation phone call first to discuss.